• Welcome to the AutoVolt Forum
  • Login or Register to access all areas
  • Mobile user? Access our forum with Tapatalk
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Only 16 Amps?!
What do you think of the fact most plug-in hybrids only support 16Amp (3kWh) charging, meaning their battery's always take a few hours to recharge? Should manufacturers bother installing 32Amp that would half the time, or do you think 16 is adequate? Does a 16Amp recharging rate put people off from using charge points when out and about as they know there's little gain to be had from a charge point if visiting town for an hour? Should PHEVs be installed with rapid charging or would nobody use it? Presumably that's not the case, as the Mitsubishi Outlander has proved so successfully, in part at least because it can be rapid charged and not just because of its price.

An inexhaustive list of some of the plug-in hybrid cars that don't support any more than 16Amp charging…
- Audi A3 e-tron
- BMW X5 xDrive40e, i8, 330e, 225xe Active Tourer, 7-Series iPerformance
- McLaren P1
- Mercedes-Benz C 350 e, S 500 e
- Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid, Panamera S E-Hybrid, 918 Spyder
- Toyota Prius Plug-in
- Vauxhall Ampera (Chevy Volt)
- Volkswagen Golf GTE, Passat GTE, Tiguan GTE (likely)
- Volvo XC90 T8, S90 T8, V90 T8, V60 PHEV

An inexhaustive list of plug-in hybrids that support higher than 16Amp charging…
- BMW i3 Rex (CCS optional)
- Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV (CHAdeMO)

I think plug in hybrids should definitely need to have higher rate charging than 3kWh, otherwise people won't bother much with using the electric mode. If you can only charge the battery fully overnight, but use it up while commuting to work or town with no long hours access to charge point, the hybrid ends up being very heavy ICE.

It's an overwhelming majority of PHEVs that do not support rapid charging nor 32Amp/7kW at the very least, which I always find surprising personally.

From a technical standpoint, is it much more complex to offer 32Amp support or incorporate rapid charging? Obviously in the case of CHAdeMO it means an extra port, but I'd have thought CCS would be mostly quite simple to incorporate aside from a couple of cars because of the actual port location, e.g. VW Golf GTE that has it behind the nose badge; CCS wouldn't fit!