• Welcome to the AutoVolt Forum
  • Login or Register to access all areas
  • Mobile user? Access our forum with Tapatalk
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Volvo XC90 T8 Twin-Engine
The latest car to arrive at AutoVolt, the Volvo XC90 T8 Twin-Engine is a luxurious SUV offering huge power, refinement and safety. Dubbed Volvo's safest car ever built, the T8 plug-in hybid is no exception and received the maximum five stars rating from Euro NCAP. It's a beautifully built machine that purports to offer the best of both worlds; a sporty SUV combined with n efficient electric vehicle. The car can be thought of as two halves; up front is a 2-litre supercharged and turbocharged petrol engine driving the front wheels, while at the back a powerful electric motor drives the rear wheels. These can be driven independently in hybrid mode, or together in both all-wheel drive and power modes. The latter turns the T8 into a stunningly fast monster, capable of sub 6-second 0-62mph times. Conversely,in pure EV mode, the T8 is capable of driving around 20 (real world) miles using its 9kWh lithium-ion battery pack, that is housed in the middle of the car where the transmission tunnel is typically located.

Any questions?

I must admit that I have a soft spot for Volvo, can't wait for their EV to come out (I expect they have planned for this!)

It looks great and I believe it drives great too.

Have you tested the semi-autonomous/safety features that this car is equipped with, like the large animal detection, city safety feature or self park? Also I've read that they have feature called run-off-road that supposed to keep you firmly in your seat while the car bounces on uneven terrain. Any chance of testing that? Smile

Volvo has said they'll bring out a pure EV by 2020 (they already did a prototype C30 EV, but decided against mass manufacturing it).

The XC90 does indeed drive very well, but it isn't without its foibles. The suspension is accommodating most of the time but can be surprisingly harsh over certain road lumps that exist around here. There's a degree of wobble in corners too, but that's largely down to its height, size and - particularly noticable on this car - as it has four-corner air suspension (£2,150 option). I've driven one with standard suspension and it did feel better in my opinion. That said, the air suspension is a wonder on the motorway and provides a truly luxurious and refined exeperience.

Putting your foot down hard is when it acts in a quite aggressive manner as you can feel the torque at the rear from the electric motor pushing while the petrol engine drags you along from the front. It gives it a bit of an odd sensation of torque steer, but only for a fleeting moment.

(09-05-2016, 08:38 AM)LaiLa Wrote: Have you tested the semi-autonomous/safety features that this car is equipped with, like the large animal detection, city safety feature or self park? Also I've read that they have feature called run-off-road that supposed to keep you firmly in your seat while the car bounces on uneven terrain. Any chance of testing that? Smile

Haha, well there are some features that are easier to test than others! I don't have any muntjacks on speed dial, although I imagine a picture of one would suffice. The self-parking system works well but took me a while to get used to. Manual parking is a doddle anyway as the car I have on test has 360º Surround View option (£1,000 option).
The run-off-the-road safety feature looks to be a clever idea but I'll leave that one for Euro NCAP to try out :-)
The XC90 is Volvo's safest car on sale currently and, I believe, a contender as world's safest SUV. It's an impressive beast in that regard and the safety options are reassuringly easy to find - just swipe right-to-left on the touchscreen to access them. Lane keep assist works well although is a little overbearing for our country roads around here where you often have to go over the whie line to avoid massive deep potholes and jutting out kerb stones. But, as I say, you can access and turn it off at the press of a button.

Overall, EVERYTHING appears to have been extremely well thought out and it really shows. At the moment, there is literally nothing of major significance that I can point at and say, "That's bad". A definite contender in our annual car of the year awards.