• Welcome to the AutoVolt Forum
  • Login or Register to access all areas
  • Mobile user? Access our forum with Tapatalk
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery owned or Battery leased
So in my quest to buy a car, I have been looking at Leafs and Zoes.

I have noticed that some Leafs have fully owned batteries and others are on lease.
In the second hand market what do you think makes the car easier to sell?

My preference is for a full owned battery, i don't  have any good reason other than not having to pay a monthly fee.

What do you think we will see happen in the future second hand market.

R

Certainly, at the moment the general concensus appears to be that most prefer to own the battery and rely on a decent warranty, rather than rent the battery.

Rental has led to some interesting negative scenarios with respect to Renault cars in particular. Several owners have, for example, not renewed the battery lease when it came to renewal time. This puts Renault into a spot of bother since they own the battery, while the car is not. So, they need permission to take the battery out of the car, but that's obviously a bit of a stale mate situation!

Rental schemes are also a bit complicated with respect to the various tarrifs and the duration of the rental period. e.g. If an owner has opted for the highest rate rental charge, because they travel the miles that require a higher battery lease, then sell the car - the new owner is generally stuck with the old high rate of lease even if they only want the lower option. Essentially, leasing batteries becomes a bit of a nightmare legal nonsense!

Renault Twizy's in particular suffer from this and with the cars being so cheap to buy, the rental can cost as much as half the price of the vehicle over a year, which quickly makes no sense. Also, cars like that are often left in a garage over winter months, meaning that you're paying a battery rental even if the vehicle's not in use. Unfortunately, in these cases, Renault has been slow to come up with a plan to rectify these situations and or lower their lease rates to make it more attractive to more people, or come up with a cost whereby owners can opt to buy the battery should they desire it.

So… battery ownership is by far the more simple option and should therefore command a premium over a car that has battery lease. In the case of Nissan, they do at least offer a fixed price for the battery if it is currently on rental, I believe it was around £3,500 - but I think that is for a new battery replacement, rather than buying the old one that's already in the car.

Good luck with your search!

The Zoe is ahead in the numbers games, but the early Leafs have owned battery.

I think the Zoe makes a neater package than the leaf, which feels too bulky.

I really enjoyed my time with the ZOE and felt that actually as a package it was superior to the LEAF in several ways - and the computer system was world's apart from the pre-2016 LEAF's that always felt a bit clunky. However, the LEAF is more like a VW Golf in size and for some I can see how the ZOE would be considered as too small. The later ZOE's seem great though, as they're available with battery or with battery rental and also have far better range thanks to a new motor. But, I think they only came to market in late 2015 so will likely not yet have trickled down to acceptable second hand prices.

Thanks for your valuable input.

The one factor of EVs compared to ICE is how much of a change there can be from model year to model year. With an ICE the updates tend to be small, non critical things. In an EV the updates really change the range, and driveability. this is something which doesnt bother with an ICE, a car from the 1990s or earlier will still drive 300 odd miles ( depending on tank size) in one go, where as EVs have updates that make me want the newer model... a step change in my desired consumption

Second hand prices are coming down quite quickly, but it is the early models

Very true, the model changes currently are pretty enormous so I see your point where traditionally model facelifts were restricted to a new paint job or similar inconsequential frivolities!

So which car is the winner so far? Do you have your eye on any?

I havent had much time to dig any deeper. next stage is arranging a test drive of each , but there's no immediate rush

Does anybody know of a way i can get first information about whether a Nissan LEAF has a leased or owned battery?

I have heard it can be quite tough.

In theory at least, the best people to ask would be the battery lease firm RCI that both Renault and Nissan use https://www.rcibs.com/en/auto-mobility/o...ttery-hire

However, whether they'll reply in a timely enough manner that the car isn't already sold is another matter.