• Welcome to the AutoVolt Forum
  • Login or Register to access all areas
  • Mobile user? Access our forum with Tapatalk
Hello There, Guest! Login Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New models due in 2017
New year , new car.

Is there any intel on new model releases this year and their price and performance?

Looking at what was announced last year, what can we expect this year?

Anything good from CES?

FF 91?

I'm not convinced by FF until the cars are produced.

Anything in my local UK showrooms that a mere mortal can buy?

CES was, yet again, a real showcase for car makers to strut their stuff. It's funny how the event used to focus on mobile phones and computers and now it's gradually being taken over the cars!

Faraday Future's FF91 is an interesting machine. If you believe their own hype, it's bigger, better, faster, stronger etc. than everything else and a "new species". We're not wholly convinced. It's an SUV with four seats. It's ridiculously powerful, which - frankly - isn't safe for the everyman to drive and there's the small but significant issue of recharging the 130kW battery. It 'can' accept a rapid charge of "500 miles per hour" but where? Nowhere yet offers this and they've not been forthcoming with solutions. Instead, most owners will likely drive their FF91 from home to wherever and stay within the ample range. Whether FF can actually produce the car is another matter. There is some speculation going on surrounding their budgeting and finance, although it's all hearsay currently. The latest rumour suggested that FF had to stop building their factory in order to pay for the CES event, which seems a little far fetched if you ask me. it can't cost 'that' much to have some fancy graphics shown on big screens and a blank canvas stage with a few cars driving up and down it… can it?

Perhaps more down to earth and nothing to do with CES is Renault's offerings this year.
Twizy is being made into an open source electric vehicle platform, which in my opinion is fantastic news and should a). give Renault some more return on their intial development investment and b). open up electric vehicles to a whole new chapter. It's an interesting offer.

Zoe gets its much anticipated 41kW battery on the Z.E.40 range of vehicles and this is - I've driven it in Portugal - fantastic! It really makes the Zoe a superb little car that it couldn't quite match with the original battery, because range was relatively short. It's capable of 186-miles (300km) real-world range (400km NEDC not real-world) and that's in winter! We weren't gentle with it at all in Portugal and easily got 268km out of it. It should help open up the prospect of EV ownership to a new audience. Pricing seems very fair and it remains one of the cheapest electric vehicles there is to buy, especially if opting for the battery rental option, although bear in mind this will entail a standard monthly payment whether you use the car or not. Renault are also offering £2,000 off the regular price in Jan.

Rumour has it that Nissan will follow suit and offer a 40+kW batteried Leaf later this year, never one to be left behind. If true, this will likely keep Nissan at the forefront of the EV C-segment game for a little while until other manufacturers appear with similar battery power.

Chevy Bolt will likely appear in the UK too, although not in RHD we don't believe and probably import only. However, it will represent a 200-mile range car and up the game in larger markets elsewhere, which can't be a bad thing.

Toward the end of the year, we may begin to see the Tesla Model 3, although likely not in the UK at that stage until 2018.

Likewise, Jag's first electric car is alleged to appear, but exact timing is difficult to say.

Renault has a few more electric vans on offer, including a bigger than usual one (finally) - can't remember the names of the top of my head, but be sure to check out the new issue of AutoVolt out on Friday!

There's plenty more I've not mentioned, but I will update when I get a bit more time :-)

(16-01-2017, 04:36 PM)AutoVoltMag Wrote: said alot about new models

That's a great summary, thank you.

200 miles is the tipping point, although 185 in a Zoe is hardly to be sniffed at!

(16-01-2017, 04:36 PM)AutoVoltMag Wrote: Rumour has it that Nissan will follow suit and offer a 40+kW batteried Leaf later this year, never one to be left behind. If true, this will likely keep Nissan at the forefront of the EV C-segment game for a little while until other manufacturers appear with similar battery power.
Renault & Nissan are in partnership. Renault upgraded the Zoe from 22kWh to 41kWh so why didn't Nissan upgrade the Leaf from 24kWh to say 45kWh? I really think they missed a trick there. 

I am hoping the Leaf replacement will be announced at the Geneva show in March but have seen a rumour that it may be announced in September.

The Zoe 41kWh range would just about do me but I could not bring myself to buy one as I just don't trust the brand. The Hyundai Ioniq gets good write ups but the range is hardly better than the Leaf. The VW E Golf has the same range as the Ioniq and should be better built at its rather expensive price point.

In the USA I suspect the Chevy Bolt will take custom from all but Tesla, although I gather they are restricted by battery production.

I have looked at the choices here in England and will be test driving a Leaf for four days in April. I expect that I will be buying one not long after that as I think September will be too late for me. I have checked the 30kWh Leaf's range against the journies I do and have decided I can live with a charge on the way to either of our daughters, and ,when we do our one 280 mile journey, three comfort breaks instead of the one we take now.

That's interesting news about the leaf, it would be great to get an official press release in March, but like you September will be more realistic.
The current range (no pun intended) on offer doesn't satisfy my wants of long distance driving, and the financial incentives are fast disappearing, mean it is really jsut a matter of powertrain and less about saving money.

Thanks for you input Nigel

Interesting news from Geneva Motor Show too. Check out:

http://www.autovolt-magazine.com/geneva-...ighlights/

(09-03-2017, 11:30 AM)jonmusk Wrote: Interesting news from Geneva Motor Show too. Check out:

I particularly like the Renault Sport Zoe. that is really nailing the Performance Ev with good looks.
I would buy one.

(10-03-2017, 11:57 AM)RyanD Wrote:
(09-03-2017, 11:30 AM)jonmusk Wrote: Interesting news from Geneva Motor Show too. Check out:

I particularly like the Renault Sport Zoe. that is really nailing the Performance Ev with good looks.
I would buy one.

Likewise! However, I don't like the interior design nor the fact its only two seats. I get that sport Renaults of times gone by have been reduced to just two seats, but this is a bit OTT. Personally I'd have preferred it if they'd stuck with the current Zoe dash and interior, but with the new exterior and performance. But then, that's just me :-)