Autovolt Forums
OBD2 Diagnostics for EVs/Plug-in cars - Printable Version

+- Autovolt Forums (http://forum.autovolt-magazine.com)
+-- Forum: Maintenance (http://forum.autovolt-magazine.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Diagnostics (http://forum.autovolt-magazine.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: OBD2 Diagnostics for EVs/Plug-in cars (/showthread.php?tid=35)

Pages: 1 2

OBD2 Diagnostics for EVs/Plug-in cars - AutoVoltMag - 21-04-2016

Has anyone ever tried the Torque App on an EV or plug-in car? Can you read faults etc. as you can on a petrol or diesel car? I understand that the Renault ZOE has an OBD2 connector hidden in the centre console near the gear stick and cubby holes but that it doesn't quite work with conventional scanning equipment. Is this the case for other EVs too?

RE: OBD2 Diagnostics for EVs/Plug-in cars - RyanD - 21-04-2016

That is a good point, but I have a feeling that Torque wont work at the minute. The OBD2 works in part because of the standardised fault codes used throughout the major manufacturers. Perhaps there will be an update to the ISO standard to include fault codes for BEV and PHEV

RE: OBD2 Diagnostics for EVs/Plug-in cars - AutoVoltMag - 21-04-2016

Next loan car I get, I'll have to give it a go, although with no faults to scan for, it might be hard to see if it works!

RE: OBD2 Diagnostics for EVs/Plug-in cars - RyanD - 22-04-2016

(21-04-2016, 11:47 AM)AutoVoltMag Wrote: Next loan car I get, I'll have to give it a go, although with no faults to scan for, it might be hard to see if it works!

Just unplug something, you'll get a fault code then.

RE: OBD2 Diagnostics for EVs/Plug-in cars - AutoVoltMag - 22-04-2016

(22-04-2016, 09:46 AM)RyanD Wrote: Just unplug something, you'll get a fault code then.

Haha, I'm not sure that's such a good idea as what if the OBD2 software doesn't work! Should be able to read the ECU even if there are no faults and Torque app has gauges to read other info from the ECU, to measure things like revs etc. If that works, I don't see why basic PID codes cannot be reset when a fault occurs.

RE: OBD2 Diagnostics for EVs/Plug-in cars - RyanD - 10-07-2017

If you have a renault there is a the CANZE app and dongle to interrogate your Zoe over the CANbus.

Anymore luck with the torque app?

RE: OBD2 Diagnostics for EVs/Plug-in cars - jonmusk - 10-07-2017

I've not tried recently, although I currently have a plug-in hybrid on test that I might plug the dongle into. However, that of course has a petrol engine so isn't quite so worthwhile testing… and is brand new so has no faults!

RE: OBD2 Diagnostics for EVs/Plug-in cars - RyanD - 11-07-2017

Well, you would hope a new car wouldn't have any faults. Gadgets section special on plug in diagnostic tools over due I think.

RE: OBD2 Diagnostics for EVs/Plug-in cars - jonmusk - 11-07-2017

Current issue has a piece about Engie, which is a diagnostics dongle. The AA has also introduced a similar device. Those are dedicated dongles that work in combination with a phone app via Bluetooth and alert a driver to a fault. What's a bit silly about all this is that in a modern car with a screen of some sort (either driver or infotainment) - it would be easy for a manufacturer to display actual warnings instead of trying to eke every penny out of motorists and get them to go to a service centre. My hope is that with electric cars that require very little servicing, there will be more transparency regarding faults.

RE: OBD2 Diagnostics for EVs/Plug-in cars - RyanD - 11-07-2017

Aftermarket diagnostics app should be possible to include some of the modern infotainment systems.